Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Skills I Learned in High School Essay Example for Free

Skills I conditioned in High School EssayMy Skills From High SchoolLearning to read and pull through in college is a situation parallel to Issac Newtons quote, If I have seen further it is by rest on the shoulders of Giants. This is because Newton was subject to advance the knowledge of science because he simply advanced the search of separate great scientists. The skills that will be attained here in college atomic number 18 simply the sharpening of the skills I have already learned in high school.My freshman English teacher taught me to sit knock down and just read a intelligence and enjoy it. She also helped me expand my vocabulary by screening me the Latin roots in words.Mr. Cicoletti was my English teacher for grades 10th-12th . He was a kind man who had us look at the philosophical side of literature. Existentialism is a great example of this because it deals with you creating your own creation and deciding to relieve oneself a positive change or a negative one on this nonsensical world. Albert Camus impertinent The Stranger is one of the existentialism books I read. I learned a pocket-size Greek mythology and was able to register the definition of a tragic hero. Joseph Conrads novel content of night was filled with symbolism and imagery and was fun to analyze because it had so much content. Its true that it was grievous to read but by using literary devices, I was able to break down the tightness of the book and realize that the Congo represented darkness and the further man went into it the wilder man became.That novel helped me see how man is primarily evil and societys boundaries and structure us overcome our let down nature. My English teacher also had us read a book that had to do with African kitchen-gardening called, Things Fall Apart, and a book called, Night, which had to do with the Holocaust. We read these books because my teachersaid they helped us understand other peoples cultures and see how other people think. I lik ed how he showed us that by practice session literature you can understand different parts of the world without regular(a) going there.I also learned a split up more about writing when I was introduced to literary devices. I learned about research papers. That included learning how to cite your resources and use the MLA format. We also learned how to write argument papers, analysis reports, and comp are and contrast moves. I was also able to take the AP Language and indite Composition Exam my junior year, where I wrote three Essays in a limited amount of time. I felt proud of myself because I am usually a slow writer but I was able to think of topics Samuelson 2quickly and write down my main points in a exemplar formatted essay. My senior year AP exam was not as successful because I didnt understand the south writing prompt very well and so I wrote down a poorly constructed essay that didnt make much sense but I was still able to finish the test. My teacher showed us that by being able to write well meant we would be able to communicate easier with umpteen people and get substantial jobs by writing good resumes.Mr. Cicoletti taught me a lot of literary devices which includes, Alliteration, the tell sound of one letter. I learned that this is used a lot in poetry to make the words fit together better, such as the nursery rhyme, She sells sea shells by the sea shore. Setting, the locating and time era of a literary piece, is a very important element for every invoice because it helps the reader understand the background pf the story better. Metaphors, dictum something is something else, are used a lot in stories because they help you understand a concept better such as The woman was a snake. This helps you understand that The woman is untrustworthy and not safe to be around. Symbolism, a concrete object representing an abstract idea, is a very important concept that I learned that was used a lot in the nubble of Darkness.One of the symbols in that n ovel was the ivory which represented the white pilgrims greed and lust for wealth. Similes, saying something is like something, is a common device used in everydaywriting, such as a diary where someone might write, My heart was like a bouncy ball when I bumped into Cody Johnson this morning. Personification, describing a sprightlinessless object as if it had valet characteristics, is a literary device used in The Heart of Darkness because Marlow describes the jungle as being alive and waiting to swallow him and his crew up even though its obvious that a forest cant really swallow human beings.Hyperbole, exaggeration, is something used in tall tales. Verbal irony is the speaker saying the opposite of what he is sensation Dramatic irony is the reader of a book knowing something a character in the book doesnt Cosmic irony is forces that negatively influence somebodys life that are beyond that persons control. Shakespeare uses a lot of dramatic irony in his play Macbeth. Sonnets are p oems that are written in three quatrains and one couplet, making up a total of fourteen lines. Ballads are poems that tell a story.Haikus are poems that have three lines with seven in the first line, five in the second, and seven in the last. Poetry was a big focus my senior year and I was able to research the famous childrens author A.A. Milne who was an extremely talented poet and I enjoyed reading his worksBy accumulating all these skills in high school, I hope to develop even better writing and reading skills in college. I trust that my teachers have done their best to prepare me for this new chapter in my life but I know I will still be learning a lot

No comments:

Post a Comment